HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Very Old UFO


A few weeks ago when we were antiquing, this sweet little sampler was one of the things I purchased and I wanted to share it with you.  It's a Schoolgirl's sampler, and obviously she was still working on it.  It was still in the hoop when I bought it.  Notice that the hoop doesn't have any screw or other device to tighten it.  While the sampler itself is a treasure (I adore and collect old samplers when I find them), it was when I turned it over that it stole my heart, and I instantly knew I just had to have it.


In order to create the needed tension between the two hoops, several pieces of beige cloth have been wrapped around the inside hoop, then stitched in place.  What a wonderful make-do find!  The top hoop really isn't all that tight against the inside hoop.  It barely gives a bit of tension to the linen.  I wonder how many pieces of linen have been in between these hoops?  Perhaps a mother and her daughters all used it?  The hoop itself has a lovely feel and the patina is glorious from wear.  I suppose most people would pick it up and put it down without a thought.  But, as you know, my mind and heart live in the prairie most days, and this unfinished sampler in its old hoop instantly transported me back to the 1800's. 

Truth is, I could go on and on as to why this speaks to my heart, but I won't.  I'm thinking that for many of you, you know exactly what I mean.  Do you have any items from the past that touch your heart?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1800's Trivia
 


The Prairie Diamond
 
 
Sherry K., who is one of the ladies in my Prairie Women's Sewing Circle club, brought me this "Prairie Diamond" ring.  She told me that, in the 19th century, especially when immigrants were headed west to homestead the prairie, sometimes when they became engaged to marry, the young man would fashion an engagement ring from a nail, bending the nail into a ring for his beloved to wear.
 
Now that's really making-do!!
 
Enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by.....Pam

7 comments:

  1. I hear you loud and clear, Pam!! These things speak to me too!! I think our ancestors MUST have been quilters, don't you think?
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,

    Love the sampler you found. And the make do hoop is perfect. Lucky you. Yes, old things speak to me too so there is a lot of talking going on at our house!!!

    Looking forward to your next sew along - I love using scraps.

    Charlotte
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  3. What treasures you found! Love the ring story and sure enjoy your blog. Always something to learn. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. Love the tip on hoops---I just have thought of it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts go to... What ever happened to little girl??? she did not finish.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the sampler and the "make do" on the back of the hoop is wonderful. You could develop a lovely story about that sampler and its hoop.

    ReplyDelete