HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Monday, October 12, 2015

Pocket Patchwork Sew~Along: Tucker Part One

Welcome to my Pocket Patchwork Sew~Along, which I'm calling Tucker!!  There's a little more to the name than I can tell you right now, but you'll know why I chose Tucker in the "reveal" blog post.  Hoping it will make you smile!  

Introduction:

Tucker was inspired by a recent visit and tour of the International Quilt Study Museum located in Lincoln, NE.  They obviously have many, many quilts there, and I did appreciate all of the current exhibits, where I saw both very old and recently made quilts.  You won't be at all surprised when I say the old ones were of special importance for me.  I was most interested in the museum's acquisition of all of Mary Campbell Ghormley vast antique doll quilt collection, as well as the Civil War reproduction quilts made by Mary herself.   

Mary, you see, had been collecting vintage doll and small quilts long before it was vogue to do so.  In her book, Childhood Treasures, Mary Kay Waldvogel wrote about Mary and featured 80 of Mary's vintage quilts.  A wonderful book, indeed!  Mary (whom passed away not long ago) was a big part of the International Quilt Study Museum, and quilting in general in Lincoln.  

Some of the vintage quilts in her collection are truly stunning pieced works of art, and then there are those that are just sweet, little ordinary patchwork quilts.....tangible patches of nineteenth century living...where each little leftover square was coveted by their maker, and saved to be used somehow, somewhere.  

And..... that is the place where we will begin.  If you choose to sew-along with me, you'll be choosing your own sweet, little patchwork squares to make a little something out of the ordinary!  This is not going to be a little quilt you would normally expect from me, but I think you'll be pleased none the less.  Our sew-along will only last 4 weeks, and you'll only need to use your scraps.  

  Let's Journey The Threads of Time ™  together!!    Here we go!

I'm using 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" unfinished squares.  Tucker is very flexible, and if that size is too small for your liking, then choose the smallest size you're comfortable working with.  


Cutting Instructions:

From your vast, enormous and coveted pile of beautiful scraps, cut the following:

(20) assorted light print 1 1/2" squares.
(100) assorted dark print 1 1/2" squares.
(8) assorted dark print 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles.


And...make (8) Half Square Triangles trimmed to measure 1 1/2" x 1 1/2".  I literally used some I had lying around.  If you need to make some, cut your squares to  1 7/8" x 1 7/8".

That's your first task...to gather and cut your fabrics, and make or acquire (8) HST's.  The next Tucker post will be on Friday, October 23rd so you'll have some time to gather and cut your fabrics.  The subsequent posts will be on Fridays, October 30th and November 6th.   

Have I piqued your interest?  Are you jumping in with all of your scraps, or are you pondering what to do?  Well....I sure hope you join us!!




39 comments:

  1. Fabulous!! I have a box (like a boot box size box) of 1 1/2" squares already cut!! I'm so ready for this one!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made several quilts from the Childhood Treasures book. So, I am definitely going to join you to make Tucker. The name has my interest piqued. I think I am going to step it down a notch. Instead of 1 inch finished squares, I am going to make 3/4 inch finished squares. Am I correct in my thinking that the rectangles would need to be 1 1/4 inch by 2 inches unfinished??
    Thanks, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing Happy Dance, Charlotte!! Glad you're with me! Yes, you're absolutely correct in your measurements, and KUDOS for bringing it DOWN a notch!! It's gonna be soooo sweet and tiny!

      Delete
  3. Me too! Already looking through my stash. This is really interesting. So much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. je vais vous suivre aussi, merci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scrappy = Happy! How can I resist?! I know with confidence that the mystery at the end will be well worth the effort. Thank you for putting this together and working so hard !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Pam, I am so determined to not join more SALs, and I always claim that I don't do mysteries. But I have loved all of yours that I have made since I started following you (3, I think), and my scrap box does need some taming. Have I talked myself into it yet? *LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking thru my scraps before I even finished reading all the instructions. Yahoo I am ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited to be doing another Pocket Patchwork Sewalong and using scraps. Win Win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using scraps is a good thing!! Makes room for more scraps! teehee!

      Delete
  9. Yay! Another Pocket Patchwork! :) *dives into stash*

    ReplyDelete
  10. EEK- I am joining in on the fun too!! This morning I got my daily email from Craftsy. I saw a gorgeous quilt that I have to make. Treenwear & Berries. After some googling, I found your blog. Plus, this is my very first mystery quilt.
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm ready for the next step--can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can´t wait next step.My squares are 21/2.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Pam,
    Looking forward to joining in with this little sew along, I will be using 2" squares as I have a whole bag already cut just waiting to be used. My rectangles should be 2"x 31/2" is that correct? I have just had a look at Mary Campbell's quilts and wow they are beautiful, can't wait to get going,
    Sue.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. My squares and HST' s are ready to go. I am never disappointed by your designs. Can't wait to SAL.

    I forgot to comment on your previous post showing your beautiful home. I have a twin to your granite berry bucket. My mother always told me it was a lunch pail! I keep it on my pie safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe our berry buckets did dual duty as lunch pails?? That would be fun!!

      Delete
  15. I want to do this project but I am a traditional hand stitcher. So is the finished size of the half square triangles after pieced together would be 1 inch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Robyn! Oh, hand stitching this would be even better!! More authentic!

      Delete
    2. Yay! Another hand stitcher! Nice to know I'm not the only one. :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Pam- I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for the hours of pleasure you've given me. I just recently found you after the APQ magazine article came out. I have been a HUGE Kansa troubles fan for years, and read mentions of you in Lynn's blog, but hadn't been familiar with your work. After going to your website to do some window shopping/Santa wish list making, I found your blog, and just had to go back to day one and read form the first entry. It has beeb my bedtime reading for the last week and I have so enjoyed it! Will be going back and making all of the sew along quilts you have been so generous to share with your readers, and will definitely be joining in on Tucker. (The name is special to me too! My Tucker was a olden Retriever/English Setter Mix who I watched some one dump along the road when e was a tiny pup. Didn't want him to freeze to death, or get hit, so I brought him home and he made our house a home for 12 years, until we had to let him go to wait by the Rainbow bridge a year ago next week.) Thank you so much for all you share and the beautiful doable quilts you design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about all the typo's! Commenting from a cell phone isn't so easy! Lol!

      Delete
    2. Well, Sandie, you have amazed me! First, I'm so glad we've found each other! Lynne is the best and I've loved her work from the first. Second, I'm stunned that you went all the way back to the first blog post and read them all?? WOW. I hope there was so fun reading in there!! Thank you for your sweet comment. I'll have in my heart all day!!

      Delete
  17. Just found your site. I always love a good mystery and my scrape pile is quite large. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your site. I always love a good mystery and my scrape pile is quite large. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am paying catch-up on blog reading and just discovered this Sew-Along. I am going to hunt up some leftover triangle units and choose additional fabrics to work with them to use to play along.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just found your site-I'm doing a happy dance-just found some treenware and don't wan't it to just take up space-so it should do nicely! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. So looking forward to this Pam. As I love mini quilts I usually like to go smaller rather than larger, but this time around I already have lots of 2 1/2" squares in my scraps, so am going to use them - can't wait to see how it comes out! Thanks for another wonderful, fun sew along!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never did a mini quilt--soooo I definitely have to try this. It looks fun, & I have tons of scraps--lots of squares already cut and stacked ready to use up. I,m in for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks of Kathy at the Kathy Quilts blog for mentioning this one! Seeing as how I have a lot of CW scraps to use up and I'm pretty sure I've already got most of what's required (including a few of those HSTs), I think I'll try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, anch'io lo farò, ho già preparato quello che serve cercando nei miei scraps.
    Mi incuriosisce molto.

    ReplyDelete
  25. after I read about this Mini Quilt Sew Along on Kathy's Quilt blog I tried very hard to resist ... but I failed, I'm in!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I finished choosing my fabrics and making the HSTs last Sunday, but I've only just got around to blogging about it. I opted to cut out the rest of the pieces as I go along, which I'm regretting a bit after seeing Part 2 today! Guess I'll be busy this weekend. :)
    http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/2015/10/mask-of-colors-1-tucker-step-afghan.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Since Tucker is my Grandmothers maiden name, I think I need to do this one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You've certainly taught me to "tuck" my tiny quilts into small places around the house. Thank you! Now I'd like to make your Tucker pattern. Do you have a printable (pdf?) version of each of your posts? Thank you.

    Also, BTW, & not to be critical: Is there any way you can move the print portion of your blog within the red side portions? It is difficult to for me to read. This may be my laptop issue. If it is, please forgive & disregard. LOVE your patterns! Thanks soooo much.

    ReplyDelete